When stressed we usually begin to breathe in quick, short, shallow breaths.
Taking a moment to recognize that we are breathing this way and being mindful to take the time to breathe properly is an excellent way to manage stress and calm the body.
Be aware that breathing too deep and too fast can make you lightheaded – to avoid this follow these directions:
- Counting slowly, to the pace of 1-one-thousand, 2-one-thousand,...
- Inhale slowly to the count of four -- inhale... two, three, four...;
- Pause and count three -- pause...two, three....;
- Exhale slowly to the count of five -- exhale...two, three, four, five....
- Repeat until you feel your body relax.